Thursday, April 25, 2013

Work and blogging don't mix!


Sad, but true, I've been cooking up a proverbial storm.  Due to work, family, and my continuing study of Japanese, my time for sitting in front of the old computer has been, lets just say, severely limited.  I have although, been following quite a few people via Instagram, twitter and other social media pages for inspiration, and in some cases just plain nausea.

My pursuit of GOOD vegan food is never ending.  What amazes me, more often than not, is what passes for GOOD food.  Why? Why oh why have my eyes and taste buds been assaulted so many times over the past few months?  In the age of the Internet, people, [and I don't remove myself from this equation] are privy to speak their mind and showcase their "talents".  There is no harm in that, none at all. What frost my muffin is when they ceremoniously pat them selves on the back and call it greatness.  I'm the first to post a picture of a great looking dish, but what I wont do is post a recipe until I've tested it and had others test it as well.

When writing a recipe, savory especially, the average at home cook, can bring flavors together with the best of them, but her lies the rub.  to translate your vision so others may duplicate it is often more difficult than its made out to be.  I read cookbooks all the time, even published authors have flubbed on a few of the directions.  How many times have you read a recipe, and realized halfway through, an ingredient which is listed in the directions is NOT listed in the ingredients.  Or better yet, an entire method or procedure is left out.  The best is one in which the author assumes you know what they are talking about and doesn't either show, or describe the technique in detail.  [raising my hand] I know I've done it myself, I admit it, but its a lesson learned.

I stalk the blogs, the post, and offer my kind words as a suggestions to help my fellow recipe developers.  "Hey check out this technique!....Maybe try this ingredient instead, its cheaper and more readily available" But alas, my kind words are smacked with ridicule and hatred.

I simply ask, no I implore my fellow blogger's.  Test your recipes before you post, your readers will thank you!

[putting my soapbox away and hanging my head in shame]  

No comments:

Post a Comment